Dr. James Michael Burkett, president of Florida Technical College (FTC) received the Star in Education Award from the Osceola Star Newspaper, the oldest newspaper in Central Florida for the Hispanic community.
The Star of Education Award is presented to an individual or institution that has demonstrated success in developing educational programs to support the community’s needs. Dr. Burkett was featured as a recipient in the newspaper’s October 2022 issue, along with the rest of the honorees.
“We are grateful to Osceola Star Newspaper for recognizing FTC’s commitment to academic excellence,” stated Dr. James Michael Burkett, President of FTC. “We can only meet and exceed that standard because of the talent, dedication, and hard work of our enthusiastic faculty, and staff who have integrated diversity, equity, and educational quality efforts into their missions, and institutional operations.”
During the second annual celebration hosted at the Embassy Suites by Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista this month, Guillermo Hansen, Osceola Star Newspaper publisher, presented five awards:
- All-Star Award – Gaby Ortigoni, President of the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of Metro Orlando
- Community Star Award – Griselle Supriama, Owner of Gavasha
- Business tar Award – Stella Siracuza, Owner of Tomato Express
- Rising Star – Luis Perez & Nancy Rosario, Owners of Tasty Lemon
- Star of Education- Dr. James Michael Burkett, President of FTC
“There are many professionals who have invested their time and effort to continue the development of central Florida. We understand that recognizing them is of the utmost importance to set the example for future generations,” emphasized Hansen.